مثير للإعجاب

مواقع تاريخية في مقدونيا

مواقع تاريخية في مقدونيا



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

1. هيراكليا لينكيستيس

يُعتقد أن هيراكليا لينكستيس قد أسسها الملك فيليب الثاني ملك مقدونيا في حوالي القرن الرابع قبل الميلاد ، قبل أن يغزوها الرومان في القرن الثاني قبل الميلاد تقريبًا.

يمكن الآن رؤية بقايا هذه المستوطنة المزدهرة المحفوظة جيدًا في الموقع ، بما في ذلك المسرح والحمامات بالإضافة إلى معبد يهودي وكنيسة. واحدة من أكثر الجوانب شهرة في هيراكليا لينكستيس هي سلسلة من الفسيفساء النابضة بالحياة.


الحمام التركي في دوجران عبارة عن مبنى يعود تاريخه إلى فترة الإمبراطورية العثمانية ويمثل اليوم مبنى تاريخيًا وثقافيًا مهمًا.

تعتبر قلعة Isar معلمًا مميزًا للمدينة ، حيث ستقضي وقتًا ممتعًا في تعلم الكثير عن تاريخ Shtip وفي نفس الوقت سوف تتعلم


المواقع الثقافية والتاريخية في ستيب ، مقدونيا


كان Stip أكبر مركز ثقافي وتجاري في شرق مقدونيا منذ العصور القديمة. يقول بعض المؤرخين أن Stip تشكل في عام 2500 قبل الميلاد. أولاً كانت بلدة صغيرة بها منازل صغيرة تحت غابة إيزار. يعتقد المؤرخون أن Stip تأسست من الناس الذين تركوا المدينة القديمة Bargala القريبة. كانت بارجالا مدينة قديمة من النوع المغلق ، محاطة بأسوار وبنى هذا الشعب أستيبو ، التي كانت أول مدينة من النوع المفتوح. تم بناء المنازل على تلة إيزار ، وفي وقت الخطر والحروب ، كان الناس يختبئون في الغابة على قمة التل. كانت المدينة تسمى Astibo بينما كانت في ولاية Paeonia. كانت Paeonia تلك الدولة الزمنية التي تقع في الشمال من مقدونيا. من المعتقد أن الحدود مع مقدونيا القديمة كانت في الجنوب ، في مكان ما بالقرب من مدينة ستوبي القديمة. كان Astibo مكانًا مهمًا لأنه كان يقع على مفترق الطرق إلى الجنوب وإلى الشرق أكثر.

هناك بعض المؤمنين التاريخيين الذين زارهم الإسكندر المقدوني على الطريق إلى الشرق الأوسط ومكث قليلاً في ستيب.

في زمن الرومان Impery ، قاموا بتغيير اسم المدينة. الاسم الروماني لـ Stip هو Stipion. كانت Stipion لا تزال المركز الثقافي لمقدونيا الشرقية ، لكنها كانت لا تزال بلدة صغيرة بها عدد قليل من المنازل على الجانب الشرقي من تل إيزار.

بدأت Stip في النمو عندما كانت تحت السيادة العثمانية. من المهم أن يغير العثمانيون الأتراك اسم المدينة مرة أخرى. أطلقوا عليه اسم Ishtip. كانت وثائق ذلك الوقت هي أول الوثائق المكتوبة حول هيكل المدينة وأجزائها ، والتي أطلق عليها أوتومانت - مالا. وفقًا لتلك الوثائق ، كانت هناك مالا مقدونية أسفل إيزار وتوزليا ، ومعال يهودية تحت المقدونية وقريبة من نهر أوتينجا ، ومعال تركية على الجانب الآخر من النهر بالقرب من المسجد ، والتي لا تزال موجودة في ستيب. من المهم أن نقول إن الأتراك العثمانيين قاموا ببناء معالهم بشكل منفصل ، دون أي صلة بالمالا الأخرى. في وقت لاحق الغربي من أول معال تركية ، تم بناء اثنين من المعالي الأخرى ، والتي لم تكن مرتبطة ببعضها البعض أيضًا. كان لكل مالا تركية مسجدها الخاص. واحد من هذا المسجد في أحدث معال تركية ، مسجد حسام الدين باشا لا يزال غير مكتمل.

لا توجد مستندات مكتوبة موثوقة حول الشعبية في Stip منذ تسعينيات القرن التاسع عشر. وصفت الوثائق الأولى في ذلك الوقت Stip بشعبية تتراوح بين 3000 إلى 4000. يبدو أن Stip قد نما سريعًا في وقت لاحق ، لأنه في الوثائق من عام 1900 مكتوب أن Stip كان لديه 20.900 مواطن و 10.900 مقدوني و 8.700 تركي و 800 يهودي و 500 من الغجر.
أ.

مدرسة في نوفو سيلو


في ساحة كنيسة Sv Bogorodica في نوفو سيلو ، توجد مدرسة اعتاد الثوري جوتشي ديلسيف التدريس فيها. بجانبه المنزل الذي عاش فيه الثوري. اليوم هو مملوك للقطاع الخاص ، ولكن تم ترميمه بأسلوب أصيل. الكنيسة بها مخبأ كان يختبئ فيه جوتشي ديلسيف. يوجد في جدران الكنيسة مكانان آخران للاختباء حيث كان يختبئ 30 رجلاً آخر. كان هناك نفق تحت عرش رئيس الأساقفة يقود من الكنيسة إلى منازل القرية. هكذا هربوا من الأتراك.

قلعة إيزار


بين النهرين ، على ارتفاع 150 مترًا على التل الصخري فوق المدينة ، يقف Stip Fortress أو المعروف باسم Isar.

يقول الناس إن القلعة بناها الملك ماركو ، بينما كانت أخته ماريا تشيد طريقًا وجسرًا عبر الوادي حتى يتمكن الناس من عبور نهر بريغالنيكا. على الرغم من أنها نصحت شقيقها ببناء أشياء من شأنها أن تكون مفيدة للناس بدلاً من قلعة لن تكون موجودة إلا خلال فترة حياته ، إلا أن الملك ماركو كان عنيدًا وبنى القلعة. تحققت تنبؤات ماريا الذكية ، فكانت القلعة قصيرة الأمد. لفترة طويلة بعد ذلك ، تحدث الناس عن عمل ماريا الصالح ، وهم يغنون أغنية كلما مروا بالطريق عبر الوادي الذي بنته ، بينما سرعان ما دمرت قلعة الملك ماركو.

الوقت المحدد لبناء القلعة غير معروف. لا يمكن القول إلا أنها تعود إلى أوائل العصور الوسطى ، ولها كل خصائص فن العصور الوسطى. تقع في مكان مرتفع ، وتحرس بلدة ستيب في ولاية القيصر صامويل. في القرن الثالث عشر ، كانت القلعة تحت الإدارة البلغارية وبعد ذلك كانت تحت الحكم الصربي ستيفان ديكانسكي. في عام 1382 تم غزوها من قبل الأتراك. بعد اختراع الأسلحة النارية ، أصبحت القلعة مهجورة. كانت بعض مواد بناء القلعة من مدينة أستيبو القديمة

سيفيرت يوفان كرستيتل ، القرن الرابع عشر


على الضفة اليمنى لنهر أوتينجا ، على الجانب الجنوبي من التل حيث يقع "إيزار" ، تم بناء كنيسة مخصصة للقديس يوحنا المعمدان في عام 1350.

سيفيرت يوفان كرستيتل ، القرن الرابع عشر

إنها كنيسة من غرفة واحدة بدون قبة. تم دعم بنائه من قبل Jovan Probistipovic و Despot Oliver & # 8217s مالك الأرض. اليوم بقيت شظايا فقط من اللوحات الجدارية. يمكن رؤية لوحات القيصر قسطنطين وكزارينا إيلينا على الجدار الجنوبي حول المدخل.

كنيسة القديس نيكولا قرية كروبيست


عند المخرج الشمالي الشرقي لقرية كروبيست ، تحت طريق ستيب كوكاني ، على الضفة اليمنى لنهر بريغالنيكا ، توجد كنيسة من القرون الوسطى مخصصة للقديس نيكولا ، وتم اكتشاف بقايا كنيسة مسيحية قديمة. تحتها.

كنيسة القديس نيكولا # 8217 هي بناء ذو ​​أبعاد متواضعة ، مصنوعة من الحجر المكسور ذي الحجم غير المتكافئ وعناصر مدمجة من المنحوتات المسيحية المبكرة مع علامات وحروف مشفرة. إنها كنيسة ذات صحن واحد ، ذات قوس دائري وحنية نصف دائرية من الخارج. المدخل من الجهة الغربية.

تم حفظ نقشين في الكنيسة. يقرأ الأول أن الكنيسة بنيت في عهد الأسقف مكاري عام 1625 ، ورُسمت على الجص عام 1627 ، بينما تذكر الثانية اسم السيد إسايجا دبريلي ، الذي في عام 1880 ، عندما يُفترض أن رواق الكنيسة. تم بناء كنيسة ذات قوس نصف دائري ورسمها وإجراء بعض التدخلات على اللوحات الجدارية للناووس. يُلاحظ الأشخاص الذين يرتدون الأزياء الوطنية الحديثة في اللوحات الجدارية للشرفة ، التي أنتجها هذا الفنان الجصي.

وفقًا لأبحاث واستنتاجات لاحقة قام بها Blaga Aleksova ، فقد تم تحديد أصول الكنيسة في الفترة الزمنية ما بين القرنين التاسع والعاشر ، وفي عام 1975 ، خلال الحفريات الأخيرة ، تم اكتشاف أن الكنيسة بنيت على أسس بازيليك مسيحي قديم مكون من ثلاثة بلاطات بالأبعاد التالية: طول 16 م وعرض 14.9 م.

سانت جورجي ، جورني كوزجاك


تم بناء كنيسة القديس جورج التي تعود للقرون الوسطى في الموقع الذي كانت توجد فيه ، وفقًا لبعض الافتراضات العلمية ، المستوطنة المسماة كوزجاك ، على بعد حوالي عشرة كيلومترات جنوب شرق مدينة شتيب ، في محلية جورني كوزجاك وبالقرب من محلة برقلة الأثرية.

القديس جورجي ، قرية جورني كوزجاك ، القرن 9/10 (11/12)

هناك نظريات وافتراضات مختلفة حول وقت بنائه. يدعي البعض أنها بنيت في الفترة من القرن الحادي عشر إلى الثاني عشر ، لكن عددًا كبيرًا من العلماء وضعها في الفترة من القرن التاسع إلى العاشر ، أي في وقت تعميد السلوفينيين على طول وادي نهر بريغالنيكا.

تم بناء الكنيسة باستخدام صخور النهر المتكسرة ، مع ملاط ​​الجير المطفأ والعديد من الزخارف العتيقة المتأخرة من Bargala. لها قاعدة صليب مشفر مع قبة أسطوانة مثمنة الأضلاع. يحتوي narthex على قبو صليب حجري متصل بالناووس من خلال ثلاثية.

يوجد بيفورا كبير على الجانبين الشمالي والجنوبي.

يُظهر البحث أنه خلال القرن الرابع عشر تم تجديد الكنيسة ، بينما تم بناء كنيسة صغيرة ذات قاعدة مربعة وطبل نصف دائري في الجانب الجنوبي من الرواق بالإضافة إلى إغلاق الأجزاء العلوية للكنيسة وتم إغلاق الكنيسة. مزينة ومطلية على الجص للمرة الثالثة على التوالي.

من الطبقة الأصلية للفن الجصي في قوسين نصف دائريين ، فقط الجزء الجنوبي به جزء من اللوحة الجدارية لا يزال قائماً ويمثل محيا قديساً.

معرض الايقونات بكنيسة القديس نقولا - Štip


واحدة من أكثر الأشياء المقدسة تمثيلا ، التي بنيت على سبيل المثال الكنيسة Uspenie na Presveta Bogorodica (Dormition of the Virgin) في Novo Selo - tip التي بناها المعلم الأولي Andreja Damjanov ، هي كنيسة القديس نيكولا في tip ، بنيت في موقع كنيسة Sifieva القديمة المخصصة للقديس نيكولا (1341) من قبل المصمم الرئيسي Gjorgi Novakov-Dzongar. من أجل تجديد إعادة بناء هذه الكنيسة ، نرى لوحة النقش المدمجة فوق المدخل الغربي الرئيسي ، والتي يقول نصها أن الكنيسة شُيدت في زمن مطران كوستنديل وستيب - إغناتيجا ، العاشر من مايو 1867.

تم تشكيل المعرض في عام 1990 ويستوعب مجموعة غنية من الأعمال الفنية من الكنائس والأديرة من منطقة Bregalnica. إن معرض الغاليري ، المخصب بأيقونات الأيقونسطاس العظيم للكنيسة & # 8217s ، والزخارف الجدارية وبلداتشين المنقوشة بكثرة (لوحة نصف دائرية تستند على أربعة أعمدة في المذبح حيث تمارس القداس المقدس) ، هي من النوادر الحقيقية للكنيسة. كنيسة الفنون الجميلة التاريخية على هذه الأرض. يتألف هذا المعرض من أيقونات أعمال فنية قام بها العديد من رسامي الأيقونات المعروفين والمجهولين الذين عملوا في الكنائس والأديرة في مقدونيا الشرقية في القرنين السابع عشر والسابع عشر والتاسع عشر ، بالإضافة إلى كتب الكنيسة القديمة المطبوعة ، مذهب بوتيري (نظارات للتواصل) ، صلبان فضية منقوشة ، قطع أثرية ، وغيرها من المعروضات المقدسة القيمة.

في الجزء الجنوبي من معرض هذه الكنيسة ، تم تقديم 29 رمزًا يعود تاريخها إلى القرنين الثامن عشر والتاسع عشر ، من قبل رسامي الأيقونات: Dziko من قرية Osoj ، و Konstantin zograph ، و Petre Novev Pacarev من قرية Tresonce ، و Krste zograph من Veles ، و Adamce zograph و الآخرين.

نضع قائمة بالأيقونات التالية: القديس كيريك وجوليتا ، ميلاد المسيح ، الثالوث المقدس ، مريم العذراء والمسيح ، القديس يوفان مع روح الروح (سيرة القديس & # 8217) إلخ.

تم عرض 32 أيقونة في الجزء الغربي من المعرض ، يعود تاريخ معظمها إلى القرن التاسع عشر. رسامو هذه الأيقونات هم: Danail Kocov من Stip و Stanislav Dospeski و Krste zograph من Veles وغيرهم.

والأهم من بينهم أولئك الذين يقدمون يسوع المسيح ، والقديس نيكولا ديسيس ، والدة الإله المقدسة - أوميليتلنا إلخ.

في الجزء الشمالي من المعرض ، تم تقديم 31 أيقونة ، أعمال رسامي الأيقونات: Petre Novev ، Isaija Debarlija ، Konstantin Andonov.

برسمها وألوانها تميز الأيقونات مع تقديم القديس سمعان (أحد رسل المسيح الاثني عشر) والقديس مينا ومعمودية المسيح وآخرين.

يوجد على الأيقونسطاس في الكنيسة الشمالية 16 أيقونة من أعمال المؤلفين: Krste من Veles و Atanasie و Dziko من Osoj و Atanas من Krusevo إلخ. ونؤكد على الأيقونات: St. يوجد في الأيقونسطاس في الكنيسة الجنوبية 13 أيقونة ، معظمها رسمها رسام الأيقونات Krste من فيليس. نذكر: تجلي المسيح والرسول توما والقديس ديميتريا وغيرهم.

ينجذب انتباه الزائرين بشكل أساسي إلى الأيقونات الموجودة على الأيقونسطاس الكبير في ناووس الكنيسة ويوجد 67 منهم ، وجميعهم أعمال لواحد من أشهر خرائط Zographs من القرن التاسع عشر ، وبشكل أدق من عام 1890 ، وهذا هو رسام الأيقونة ديميتار أ. بابراديسكي.

من بينها جميعًا نؤكد على الأيقونات مع عرض لجمعية الرسل ، الرسول بافل ، القديس هارالامبي ، القديس سمعان ستولبنيك ، البشارة ، رئيس الملائكة جبرائيل إلخ.

يوجد في مساحة معرض هذه الكنيسة سبعة معارض حيث تم عرض المزيد من مزامير (كتب بها نصوص كنسية مختلفة) ، طُبعت في موسكو في النصف الأول من القرن التاسع عشر.

Minei (كتب تصف جميع الخدمات للاحتفال بوالدة الله المقدسة ، القديس يوفان بريتكا (القديس يوحنا الرائد) والقديسين الآخرين ، مقسمة إلى اثني عشر شهرًا)

الأناجيل (كتب بنصوص الإنجيليين الأربعة: ماتيجا وماركو ولوكا ويوفان)

Trebnici (الكتب التي تتحدث عن قصة شعر الرهبان وعادات الدفن والتعميد بالماء وما إلى ذلك)

من بين المعروضات الكنسية في هذه المعارض ، هناك العديد من تيجان الزفاف التي يعود تاريخها إلى أواخر القرن التاسع عشر ، والمزيد من تيجان الزفاف الفضية (أواني على شكل جاج يستخدمها الكهنة للغسيل) ، وبوتيري (أكواب فضية ومذهبة للتواصل) ، وأكواب مع ملاعق فضية للتواصل ، الصلبان الفضية للتقبيل ، ومصابيح الأيقونات الفضية وغيرها الكثير.

في النهاية نضيف فقط أن هذا المعرض في هذه الكنيسة التمثيلية بمعارضها التي تظهر جمال وقيم التراث الثقافي المقدس الذي تملكه منطقة بريغالنيكا ، هو جزء مهم من حياة الناس في تاريخ نهضتنا. لدى الزائر حقًا ما يراه ويسعد نفسه روحياً في معرض متحف الكنيسة في كنيسة القديس نيكولا في بلدة ستيب.


مواقع تاريخية في مقدونيا - التاريخ

الجدول الزمني لتاريخ مقدونيا

تقع مقدونيا في وسط جنوب البلقان ، شمال هيلاس القديمة (اليونان) ، شرق إليريا ، وغرب تراقيا. الاسم & quotMacedonia & quot هو الاسم الأقدم لدولة في قارة أوروبا. كان المقدونيون القدماء أمة متميزة ، عرقيًا ولغويًا وثقافيًا ، تختلف عن جيرانهم. تعود أصولهم إلى الطبقة السفلية القديمة Brygian (Phrygian) التي احتلت كامل الأراضي المقدونية وفي الطبقة العليا الهندية الأوروبية ، والتي استقرت هنا في نهاية الألفية الثانية. تظهر الأدلة الأثرية أن الحضارة الأوروبية القديمة ازدهرت في مقدونيا بين 7000 و 3500 قبل الميلاد.

[808-399 قبل الميلاد] أسس كارانوس المملكة المقدونية القديمة وهو أول ملك مقدوني معروف (808-778 قبل الميلاد). الإسكندر الأول & quotPhilhellene & quot (498-454 قبل الميلاد) قضى على المملكة وقاتل كحليف فارسي في الحروب اليونانية الفارسية. حرض نجل الإسكندر بيرديكاس الثاني (453 - 413 قبل الميلاد) على نزاع بين أثينا وسبارتا والذي تحول إلى حرب بيلوبونيسية استمرت 27 عامًا مما أدى إلى استنفاد كل مدينة يونانية تقريبًا. أرخيلاوس (413-399 قبل الميلاد) يحول مقدونيا إلى قوة اقتصادية ويعيد تنظيم الجيش المقدوني.

[359-336 قبل الميلاد] قام فيليب الثاني (359-336 قبل الميلاد) برفع مقدونيا إلى أعظم قوة أوروبية بعد إخضاع كل جيران مقدونيا - الإيليريون والتراقيون واليونانيون. تمثل معركة تشيرونيا حيث هزم المقدونيون الإغريق في 2 أغسطس 338 قبل الميلاد ، نهاية التاريخ اليوناني وبداية العصر المقدوني. أعلن الكاتب اليوناني القديم ثيوبومبوس أن فيليب أعظم رجل أعطته أوروبا على الإطلاق

[336-323 قبل الميلاد] حمل ابن فيليب ألكسندر الثالث الكبير (356-323 قبل الميلاد) الجيوش المقدونية إلى آسيا وغزا الإمبراطورية الفارسية. أصبحت مقدونيا أكبر إمبراطورية في العالم تمتد من أوروبا إلى شمال إفريقيا والهند.

[323-300 قبل الميلاد] أدى موت الإسكندر الأكبر إلى إغراق الأمة المقدونية في حرب أهلية حيث يتقاتل الجنرالات المقدونيون البارزون على حكم الإمبراطورية. بحلول عام 300 قبل الميلاد ، تم تقسيم الإمبراطورية المقدونية بين سلالات جنرالات الإسكندر أنتيجونوس الأول (مقدونيا واليونان) ، وبطليموس الأول (مصر) ، وسلوقس الأول (آسيا).

[300-146 قبل الميلاد] تحت حكم Antigonus II Gonatas (276-239) ، حقق حفيد Antigonus I ، مقدونيا حكمًا مستقرًا وعزز احتلالها لليونان. اشتباكات حفيده فيليب الخامس (222-179 قبل الميلاد) مع روما التي بدأت في التوسع شرقا. تنتهي الحربان المقدونيتان & quot؛ ضد الرومان بهزيمة جيوش فيليب الخامس. تفقد مقدونيا اليونان بأكملها وتقلصت إلى حدودها الأصلية. في الحرب المقدونية الثالثة & quot ؛ هزمت روما الجيش المقدوني تحت حكم الملك المقدوني الأخير ، فرساوس ابن فيليب (179-168 قبل الميلاد). مات فرساوس أسيرًا في إيطاليا ، وفشل تمرد ضد الحكم الروماني ، وبحلول 146 مقدونيا أصبحت مقاطعة رومانية.

[65 قبل الميلاد] تغزو روما المملكة السلوقية المقدونية في آسيا تحت حكم آخر ملوكها أنطيوخوس الثاني عشر.

[30 قبل الميلاد] وضع انتصار الرومان على كليوباترا السابعة حداً لآخر أحفاد المقدونيين في مصر ، ومعه آخر بقايا الإمبراطورية المقدونية.

[51-63 ميلادي] `` وظهرت رؤية لبولس في الليل ، وقف رجل مكدوني ، صلى عليه قائلاً ، تعال إلى مكدونية ، وساعدنا & quot (الكتاب المقدس ، أعمال الرسل 16: 9). يبشر الرسول بولس ورسائله بالمسيحية لأول مرة على الأراضي الأوروبية ، في المدن المقدونية فيليبي ، وتيسالونيكي ، وبيرو. أول أوروبي اعتنق المسيحية هو فتاة مقدونية اسمها ليديا.

[395] تنقسم الإمبراطورية الرومانية إلى الغربية والشرقية. تقع مقدونيا في الشرق (البيزنطية) ، وهي إمبراطورية متعددة الجنسيات تمتد على ثلاث قارات في أوجها. الأباطرة البيزنطيين الأوائل هم من الرومان ، ولكن مع مرور الوقت ، أصبح الناس من المقدونيين والسوريين والأرمن والفريجيين (الأموريين) وغيرهم من الخلفيات العرقية حكامًا.

[535] اجتاح السلاف مقدونيا واليونان وإليريا وتراقيا واختلطوا بالمقدونيين واليونانيين والإليريين والتراقيين.

[855-886] اثنان من المقدونيين ، الأخوان سيريل وميثوديوس من سالونيكا ، المدينة العظيمة والأولى في المقدونيون كما وصفها المؤرخون البيزنطيون ، أنشئ الأبجدية السلافية الأولى وعزز المسيحية بين الشعوب السلافية. نشر تلميذ سيريل وميثوديوس كليمان ونعيم أوف أوهريد المسيحية باللغة السلافية وأسسوا أول جامعة سلافونية ، مدرسة أوهريد الأدبية.

[867-1025] باسل الأول المقدوني (867-886) هو أول مقدوني يصبح إمبراطورًا بيزنطيًا ، مؤسس السلالة المقدونية. بلغت الإمبراطورية ذروتها في فترة تُعرف باسم العصر الذهبي ، بينما كانت تحكمها الأسرة المقدونية من 867 إلى 1025.

[النصف الأول من القرن العاشر] تظهر تعاليم البوجوميل في مقدونيا وتنمو لتصبح حركة شعبية واسعة النطاق تنتشر عبر البلقان وأوروبا.

[976-1018] مع ضعف الإمبراطورية البيزنطية ، تمرد السلاف المقدونيون ضد السلطة البلغارية وتحت حكم القيصر صموئيل أسسوا مملكة مقدونية سلافية قوية من القرون الوسطى مركزها في أوهريد. وسع صموئيل مملكته قهر أجزاء من اليونان وإبيروس وبلغاريا وألبانيا وصربيا والبوسنة والجبل الأسود ودالماسيا ، لكنه هزم من قبل الإمبراطور البيزنطي باسيل الثاني المقدوني في عام 1014. بحلول عام 1018 استعادت بيزنطة إمبراطوريته.

[1040-1072] اندلعت انتفاضتان رئيسيتان ضد الحكم البيزنطي في مقدونيا ، أحدهما بقيادة حفيد صموئيل بيتار ديجان (1040) والآخر بقيادة جورجي فويتيه (1072).

[1389] على الرغم من الثورات والاحتلال الصربي والبلغاري الذي لم يدم طويلاً في القرنين الثالث عشر والرابع عشر ، ظلت مقدونيا أرضًا بيزنطية حتى احتلها الأتراك العثمانيون في عام 1389.

[1564-1565] تمرد Mariovo-Prilep هو أول حركة مقاومة مقدونية كبيرة مسجلة ضد الاحتلال التركي.

[1689] جاءت انتفاضة كاربوش في شمال مقدونيا. تم القبض على القائد كاربوش وإعدامه على الجسر الحجري في سكوبي.

[1767] بعد ضغط البطريرك اليوناني في اسطنبول ، ألغى الأتراك مطرانية أوهريد ، التي كانت تحافظ على الروح الروحية للمقدونيين منذ عهد القيصر صموئيل.

[1822] اندلعت انتفاضة Negus ، وتمرد المقدونيين من أجل التحرير في جنوب مقدونيا.

[1828-1878] حصلت اليونان (1828) وصربيا (1830) وبلغاريا (1878) على استقلالها من الحكم التركي وعرضت تطلعات إقليمية على الأراضي المقدونية. يظهر السؤال المسمى & quotMacedonian & quot. يتنافس الإغريق والبلغار والصرب في سعيهم لاحتلال مقدونيا وفي نفس الوقت يضعون عقبات أمام استقلال مقدونيا.

[1876] انتفاضة رازلوفتزي في مقدونيا الشرقية ضد الحكم التركي تنذر بالكفاح المقدوني من أجل التحرر الوطني.

[1878-1879] تمرد المقدونيون مرة أخرى في شرق مقدونيا ضد الاحتلال التركي مع انتفاضة كريسنا. يتبنى مقاتلو الحرية المقدونيون دستورًا يعرف باسم قواعد لجنة الانتفاضة المقدونية. الانتفاضة لها تأثير قوي على نمو الوعي القومي المقدوني.

[1891] بدأ الأسقف ثيودوسيوس الأسقف سكوبي حملة لإنشاء كنيسة أرثوذكسية مقدونية مستقلة وترميم أسقفية أوهريد ، التي ألغيت في عام 1767. وقد دمر البلغار هذه الفكرة بشكل فعال.

[1893] تأسست المنظمة الثورية المقدونية الداخلية (VMRO) في سالونيكا. تحت شعار & quot؛ مقدونيا للمقدونيين & quot؛ أهدافها هي الحرية الوطنية وإقامة دولة مقدونية مستقلة. جورجي (جوتسي) ديلتشيف يصبح قائدها.

[1903] قام الثوار المقدونيون & quotGemidzii & quot بتنفيذ سلسلة من الهجمات على عدد من المباني في سالونيكا من أجل لفت انتباه الجمهور الأوروبي نحو محنة الشعب المقدوني. في 2 أغسطس 1903 ، أطلق VMRO انتفاضة Ilinden ضد الأتراك وأعلن استقلال مقدونيا. حرر الثوار بلدة كروشيفو وأقاموا جمهورية بحكومة. تم سحق الانتفاضة بوحشية من قبل الأتراك. تم حرق كروشيفو بالكامل ودمرت أكثر من 150 قرية مقدونية. في نفس العام ، نشر Krste Misirkov من Pella (Postol) ، مؤسس اللغة المقدونية الأدبية والتهجئة الحديثة ، كتابه & quot في الأمور المقدونية & quot ، حيث يعرض مبادئ توحيد اللغة الأدبية المقدونية.

[1908] ثورة تركيا الفتية تقضي على الإمبراطورية العثمانية. المنظمة الثورية المقدونية ، من خلال جين ساندانسكي والحزب الاتحادي الوطني الذي تم تشكيله حديثًا ، تشارك بنشاط في حركة تركيا الفتاة لتحقيق الحكم الذاتي لمقدونيا.

[1912-13] توحدت اليونان وصربيا وبلغاريا قواتها ، وبمساعدة 100،000 مقدوني هزموا الجيش التركي في مقدونيا. حرمت مقدونيا من الاستقلال ومعاهدة بوخارست (أغسطس 1913) قسمت البلاد بين اليونان وصربيا وبلغاريا. اليونان تأخذ النصف الجنوبي الأكبر من مقدونيا (بحر إيجة مقدونيا) وتعيد تسميتها إلى & quot شمال اليونان. قام الجيش اليوناني بإحراق بلدة كوكوش بالأرض ، مسقط رأس الزعيم المقدوني جورجي (جوتشي) ديلسيف. ضمت بلغاريا منطقة بيرين وألغت الاسم المقدوني ، واستولت صربيا على منطقة فاردار وأعادت تسميتها إلى & quot؛ صربيا الجنوبية & quot.

[1914-1918] في عام 1914 ، اندلعت الحرب العالمية الأولى. انضمت بلغاريا إلى القوى المركزية وبحلول عام 1915 احتلت الجزء الصربي من مقدونيا (فاردار). شهدت هزيمة القوى المركزية ونهاية الحرب العالمية الأولى في عام 1918 إعادة تأكيد تقسيم عام 1913 وترك مقدونيا منقسمة.

[ 1919] في مؤتمر باريس للسلام ، تم تجاهل مطالب المقدونيين من أجل مقدونيا المستقلة والموحدة. معاهدة فرساي تجيز تقسيم مقدونيا. تم إعادة دمج Vardar Macedonia مع بقية صربيا وفي المملكة الجديدة للصرب والكروات والسلوفينيين ، والتي أعيدت تسميتها فيما بعد يوغوسلافيا.

[1924] بيان مايو ، قرار الحزب الشيوعي اليوغوسلافي بشأن حق الشعب المقدوني في تقرير المصير. تطبع اليونان الكتاب التمهيدي & quotAbecedar & quot باللغة المقدونية لتلبية احتياجات الأطفال المقدونيين في مقدونيا بحر إيجة ولكنها انسحبت قبل وصولها إلى المدارس.

[1925] تأسس VMRO (يونايتد) في فيينا تحت قيادة ديميتار فلاهوف. هدفها الرئيسي هو تحرير مقدونيا داخل حدودها الجغرافية والاقتصادية وإنشاء وحدة سياسية مستقلة ستصبح عضوًا متساويًا في اتحاد البلقان المستقبلي.

[1935] تأسست الحركة الوطنية المقدونية مانابو في جزء فاردار من مقدونيا.

[1936] تأسست الجمعية الأدبية المقدونية في صوفيا من قبل الكتاب المقدونيين البارزين.

[1940] يصدر المؤتمر الوطني الخامس للحزب الشيوعي اليوغوسلافي قرارًا بشأن المساواة وتقرير المصير للشعب المقدوني.

[1941] اندلعت الحرب العالمية الثانية وبلغاريا كحليف فاشي لألمانيا هتلر تحتل تقريبًا كل مقدونيا (فاردار وبحر إيجه) ​​وتتعاون مع النازيين لرحيل يهود سالونيكا إلى معسكرات الاعتقال. في 11 أكتوبر 1941 ، شن المقدونيون حربًا لتحرير مقدونيا من الاحتلال البلغاري.

[1943] تقدم المشاعر المعادية للفاشية الدعم للحركة الشيوعية المتنامية وتأسس الحزب الشيوعي المقدوني. تم تأسيس أول وحدة من جيش مقدونيا وتشكيل الهيئات الحكومية (مجالس التحرير الوطنية) على كامل أراضي مقدونيا. تنشر قيادة جيش التحرير الوطني (NOV) بيانًا لأهداف حرب التحرير.

[1944] في 2 أغسطس 1944 ، بعد 2282 عامًا من معركة شارونيا وفي الذكرى 41 لانتفاضة إليندين ، أعلنت الجمعية المناهضة للفاشية للتحرير الوطني لمقدونيا (ASNOM) دولة مقدونية. يجتمع ممثلون من جميع أنحاء مقدونيا لهذه المناسبة ويقررون دستور دولة مقدونية حديثة كعضو في الاتحاد اليوغوسلافي الجديد. تم تشكيل هيئة رئاسة ASNOM مع Metodia Andonov Chento كأول رئيس لها.

[1945] تم تأسيس أول حكومة لجمهورية مقدونيا الشعبية (16 أبريل) برئاسة لازار كوليسيفسكي.

[1946] تم تبني أول دستور لجمهورية مقدونيا الشعبية. بدء الدراسة الجامعية بالمقدونية (كلية الفلسفة).

[1946] تعترف بلغاريا ، بقيادة جيوجي ديميتروف ، رسمياً بوجود الأمة المقدونية وبحق جزء بيرين من مقدونيا في الارتباط بجمهورية مقدونيا الشعبية. غالبية السكان في جزء بيرين من مقدونيا يعلنون أنفسهم كمقدونيين في تعداد مجاني.

[1946-1949] في الحرب الأهلية اليونانية (1946-1949) التي أعقبت الحرب العالمية الثانية ، قاتل المقدونيون في بحر إيجة إلى جانب الحزب الشيوعي اليوناني (KKE) حيث وعدهم بحقوقهم بعد الحرب. حوالي نصف 35000 جندي من DAG هم مقدونيون. تم افتتاح 87 مدرسة مقدونية على الأراضي المحررة في مقدونيا ، ونشر الصحف المقدونية ، وإنشاء جمعيات ثقافية وفنية. ولكن بعد سنوات قليلة من نجاح KKE ، خسر الشيوعيون الحرب ، وجُرد المقدونيون مرة أخرى من حقوقهم الإنسانية. تم فصل 28000 طفل من بحر إيجه المقدوني ، والمعروفين باسم "الأطفال اللاجئين" ، عن عائلاتهم واستقروا في أوروبا الشرقية والاتحاد السوفيتي في محاولة لإنقاذهم من الرعب الذي أعقب ذلك. فقد آلاف المقدونيين أرواحهم وأحرقت أعداد كبيرة من القرى المقدونية على الأرض.

[1956] في الإحصاء البلغاري لعام 1956 ، أعلن غالبية سكان بيرين مقدونيا أنفسهم مرة أخرى على أنهم مقدونيون. منذ ذلك الحين ، تراجعت بلغاريا تحت حكم القومي تودور جيفكوف عن قرارها بالاعتراف بالأمة المقدونية وتمنع مرة أخرى التعبير الحر عن الجنسية واللغة المقدونية.

[1958] تم استعادة مطرانية أوهريد ، التي ألغاها الأتراك العثمانيون عام 1767 تحت الضغط اليوناني.

[1967] تم تأسيس الأكاديمية المقدونية للفنون والعلوم. إعلان الاستقلال الذاتي للكنيسة المقدونية الأرثوذكسية.

[1986] تعلن الصحيفة اليونانية & quotElefteros Tipos & quot أن رئيس الوزراء باباندريو في المحادثات مع عضو الرئاسة اليوغوسلافية ستاين دولانك قد وافق على الاعتراف باللغة المقدونية باعتبارها واحدة من اللغات الرسمية في يوغوسلافيا.

[1988] يوافق رئيس الوزراء اليوناني باباندريو ووزير الشؤون الخارجية كارولوس بابولياس على الاعتراف باللغة المقدونية في اليونان. قضية المصرفي & quotKoskotas & quot تسقط حكومة PASOK ، ولم يتم التوقيع على الوثائق مطلقًا.

[1989] المنظمة المقدونية المتحدة - Ilinden (OMO Ilinden) تأسست في Pirin Macedonia ، تطالب بالحكم الذاتي الثقافي والوطني للمقدونيين في جزء Pirin من مقدونيا.

[1991] تتفكك يوغوسلافيا الفيدرالية حيث أعلنت سلوفينيا وكرواتيا والبوسنة استقلالها. في استفتاء يوم 8 سبتمبر أعلن المقدونيون الاستقلال. تم انتخاب كيرو غليغوروف أول رئيس لمقدونيا المستقلة. تم تبني دستور جديد يعلن جمهورية مقدونيا دولة ذات سيادة ومستقلة ومدنية وديمقراطية ، ويعترف بالمساواة الكاملة للمقدونيين والأقليات العرقية في البلاد.

[1993] تم قبول مقدونيا في الأمم المتحدة.

[1994] من الواضح أن مقدونيا قد تقدم ادعاءً تاريخيًا وثقافيًا ولغويًا بشأن مقدونيا في بحر إيجة ، وتصر اليونان على عدم وجود أمة مقدونية وأن المقدونيين لا يحق لهم استخدام الاسم & quotMacedonia & quot. تفرض اليونان حظراً تجارياً على مقدونيا بسبب الرفض المقدوني لإعادة تسمية البلد والأمة واللغة ، وتغيير المادة 47 من الدستور التي تحدد & quotthe جمهورية مقدونيا تهتم بتمثال وحقوق الأشخاص الذين ينتمون إلى الشعب المقدوني في الجوار الدول . في الوقت نفسه ، انسحبت اليونان من المحادثات اليونانية المقدونية ، التي رصدتها الأمم المتحدة كوسيط ، ومنعت أي قبول لمقدونيا في المؤسسات الدولية باستخدام سلطتها في نقض أعضاء جدد.

[1995] مقدونيا تصبح عضوا في مجلس أوروبا. تدين هيومن رايتس ووتش اليونان لقمع الأقلية العرقية المقدونية الكبيرة ، وهو ما تنفيه اليونان وجوده. كما حثت كل من منظمة العفو الدولية والبرلمان الأوروبي اليونان على الاعتراف بوجود اللغة المقدونية ووقف اضطهاد المقدونيين العرقيين على الأراضي المقدونية التي استولت عليها في عام 1913.


المواقع التاريخية

تم بناء Carnoosie على أحد تلال Edgefield & rsquos المرتفعة وهي أفضل مثال على الطراز الفيكتوري الإيطالي في المدينة و rsquos. كان منزل Edgefield & rsquos الأب والابن الوحيدين اللذين كانا الحاكم ونائب الحاكم جون كالهون شيبارد وجيمس أورلاندو شيبارد.

The Courthouse Square هو قلب وسط مدينة Edgefield ولم يتغير كثيرًا في الوظيفة أو المظهر العام والسحر على مدار أكثر من 225 عامًا.

تم بناء هذا المبنى التاريخي ، الذي كان في السابق منزل الكابتن جيمس ميلر ، في كاليفورنيا. 1840. تم نقله إلى موقعه الحالي في التسعينيات وتم تحويله إلى متحف مع أحدث المعروضات التي توضح بالتفصيل التاريخ المتنوع لمقاطعة إدجفيلد.

محور ساحة المحكمة هو محكمة مقاطعة إدجفيلد ، وقد تم اختيار موقع محكمة مقاطعة إدجفيلد لأول مرة في عام 1785 عندما تم إنشاء مقاطعة إدجفيلد.

It was first known as the Edgefield Village Baptist Church and the first service in the new church was held on Saturday, 19 April 1823.

Edgefield Methodism is probably as old as Edgefield. Circuit riders conducted services at Edgefield Court House in the late 1790s. The first Edgefield Methodist Church was at Pottersville, one mile north of the present town limits.

In 1826, Furman University (one of South Carolina's most selective private universities) began right here as a Men's Academy and Theological Institute. Furman relocated to Greenville in 1850, and a small monument stands testament to their Edgefield roots.

As a continuation of the local pottery tradition, the Doctor Arthur and Esther Goldberg Groundhog Kiln was built in 2011. It is a traditional wood-burning kiln similar to those used over 200 years ago in this area.

Still a private residence today, Halcyon Grove was built in 1815 and was most notably occupied by Andrew Pickens, Jr. (one of our Ten Governors). Architectural features include hidden doors, beautiful feather-painted wainscoting, lattice columns and the double-tiered piazza (to name just a few).

Horn Creek is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the "Backcountry" of South Carolina. Built in 1790, it is a rare example of the one-room meeting style church that reflects the simplicity and frugality of early settlers.

This church was built in 1901, but was formed in the years right after the Civil War. There is a cemetery directly behind the building.

This home was built on the site of the first residence in Edgefield, dating from approximately 1762. The present house was built, circa 1843. In 1873, Alfred J. Norris, a prominent Edgefield lawyer and businessman purchased the property. In 1875 his daughter, Mamie Norris, was born here. She later married James Hammond Tillman who became Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina.

Explore American history and the spirit of a young, new nation.

Captain Daniel Bird Jr., a native Virginian, moved to the area after the Revolutionary War. Initially living at Halcyon Grove on Buncombe Street, he later purchased land a mile from the courthouse to build what is now Oakley Park Museum, in 1835. Captain Bird became a wealthy cotton planter, also breeding fine race horses. His life was a mix of success and tragedy. In only a few years he left Edgefield to begin a new life in the territory of Florida. What he has left behind is a truly beautiful example of Neoclassical architecture.

Within the walls of Oakley Park are also stories of families who once called this mansion their home. These individuals lived through unprecedented challenges, dreamed of what America could become and bravely participated in creating the country we love. Immerse yourself in an earlier century and find inspiration in the art and ideals of early America. Topics covered in the collection include the following: War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Second Seminole War, Nullification Crisis, Dave The Potter, the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Spanish-American War.

Oakley Park Museum is a privately owned 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to protect, preserve and promote a unique artifact of American history for all to immerse themselves within. The museum is available for tours, meetings and private events.

Construction on the church began 2 January 1858, primarily through the efforts of Father Timothy Bermingham, a native of Ireland. Granite from a local quarry was used and Irish stonemasons were brought from Europe to carve the stone of St. Mary&rsquos walls.

Established in 1836, The Edgefield Advertiser is the longest continuing newspaper in South Carolina. Make sure you drop by to say hello and you just might find yourself in next week&rsquos edition!

Located along Courthouse Square (on the opposite corner across from the Courthouse), the History Wall details Edgefield history from local Native American tribes to the 21st century on informational panels. *Geocache Location

It is the oldest church building now standing in the town of Edgefield and perhaps the oldest brick building in the area. Trinity Episcopal Church was built on land deeded by Edmund B. Bacon to the Wardens and Vestrymen on September 15, 1835 and the building was completed in 1836.

Willowbrook Cemetery is the second most historic cemetery in South Carolina, and is overflowing with &ldquoresidents&rdquo who carved their place in local, state, and national history. The oldest marked grave in Willowbrook belongs to Pierre LaBorde who was a native of France and died in 1820, aged about 50 years.


Philippi

Philippi was an important city in eastern Macedon which flourished in the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine Periods. Situated between the Strymon and Nestos rivers, the city was valued in antiquity for its nearby gold mines. Site of the famous Battle of Philippi at the end of the Roman Republic, the city prospered in the Roman imperial era and, after a visit from St. Paul, became an important centre of early Christianity. Philippi continued to flourish as a major Byzantine city. Today the archaeological site has substantial remains including a theatre and four basilicas. Philippi is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

الفترة الهلنستية

According to tradition, the city, under its first name of Crenides (or Datum), was founded c. 360 BCE by settlers from nearby Thasos who were led by the Athenian Kallistratos. There is no archaeological evidence of a significant settlement prior to the 4th century BCE but there had been small communities in the area since Neolithic times as attested by local rock art.

الإعلانات

When Krenides was attacked by Thracians the inhabitants looked to Philip II of Macedon for protection. Philip, no doubt with an eye on the wealth of the local gold mines, responded by taking the city and renaming it Philippi (or Philippoi), after himself, in c. 357 BCE. Fortifications and a theatre were amongst the architectural additions made under Philip's reign and he also drained the surrounding swamps. The city maintained its independence but to ensure continued loyalty from this new asset a number of Macedonians were permanently relocated to the city. According to the ancient historian Diodorus, the mines near Philippi produced a very respectable 1,000 talents each year.

Following the death of Alexander and the subsequent Successor Wars, Phillipi was much sought after for its gold and convenient harbour, Neapolis (modern Kavala) but continued to act as an independent city under the Antigonid regime. This is attested in a decree found on Kos which dates to 243 BCE and which grants the island's sanctuary to Hera the right of asylum.

الإعلانات

Roman Period

When the Romans defeated the Macedon king at the Battle of Pydna in 168 BCE, they divided Macedonia into four administrative districts. Philippi is not mentioned specifically but it is assumed it was in the first zone, the prima regio. In 146 BCE Macedon became a single Roman province and Philippi one of its prominent centres. The city benefitted greatly from the construction of the via Egnatia, the major road which connected the area to the Adriatic in the south and the Dardanelles in the north. A well-planned forum was built, along with a basilica, and a commercial street joined the heart of the city to the via Egnatia.

In 42 BCE the city famously gave its name to the battle which saw Mark Antony and Octavian gain revenge on Julius Caesar's assassins, Brutus and Cassius. The battle had involved the largest number of troops in Roman warfare up to that point. 19 legions of 110,000 men on the Triumvirate side faced 17 Republican legions of 90,000 men, and the result was 40,000 casualties and another nail in the coffin of the Republic.

اشترك في النشرة الإخبارية الأسبوعية المجانية عبر البريد الإلكتروني!

Philippi then became a Roman colony settled by army veterans and produced its own coinage. When Octavian defeated Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE, the city received another influx of new residents, this time settlers who had lost their land during reforms in Italy. From 27 BCE the city gained the honorary title of Colonia Iulia Augusta Philippensis.

The first Christian church in Europe was founded at Philippi (built on top of a tomb of a Hellenistic hero) which had become an important early Christian centre following a visit to the city by Paul the Apostle in 49 CE. Lydia was notable as the first European to be baptized there. In the following centuries Philippi flourished and benefitted from an extensive building programme. In Late Antiquity Philippi was a prominent city in the Eastern Empire and an episcopal seat. Once more the city's urban landscape evolved to include large churches, towered buildings, and new city walls.

الإعلانات

Archaeological Remains

Portions of the city's fortifications, built by Philip and employing large marble blocks, are still visible today. The walls originally encircled the city and joined the nearby hill which protrudes from Mt. Orvelos. The ancient fortified acropolis was built on top of this hill and a square tower from the Byzantine period, built during the reign of Justinian I (527 to 565 CE), still stands there. The city's outer fortifications had square towers built at intervals and gates gave access to the city, three of which survive today. The eastern Naples Gate, which led to the port of Neapolis, has a tower on each side.

The 4th-century BCE theatre built by Philip II, one of the largest built in Greece, has been excavated and been partially reconstructed. The forum, built around a central square, can be seen today, as can four support pillars of its basilica (Basilica B) built c. 550 CE and which had three aisles and a dome. A curiosity is the so-called 'cell of St. Paul' where it is claimed the apostle was imprisoned but it is, in fact, an old water cistern which was subsequently converted into a cult shrine. On the other side of the via Egnatia, opposite the forum and reached by a monumental staircase, was another basilica (known simply as Basilica A) which was constructed in the 5th century CE. Measuring 130 x 50 metres and having three aisles, it was the largest basilica built in that period.

الإعلانات

Finally, the small first Christian church has a surviving mosaic floor with an inscription indicating that the church was dedicated to St. Paul. The church was replaced by a larger octagonal one, built on the same site c. 400 م. This new building had a double colonnade inside and a pyramid roof but was altered some 50 years later to take on a square form. The area around the church was made into an enclosure with stoas (colonnaded halls), accommodation for pilgrims, a large two-storey bishopric building for priests, and a monumental gate leading to the via Egnatia.


Landmarks, Historical Sites and Points of Interest in the Sunshine State

African American History in the Keys Spanish Colonial Sites in Pensacola Smalltown Downtowns Family-Friendly Lighthouses The Culture of the Forgotten Coast True Ghost Town Tales تاريخ الأمريكيين الأصليين The Maritime Heritage Trail

History is repeating itself at the site of a historic Black cemetery in Bethesda, Maryland

Peter Paul Brown must be turning in his grave if he knows about the kerfuffle over one of the cemeteries owned by the Black benevolent organization he founded in 186 7 . The Philadelphia physician who lived between c. 1822 and 1882 established the Ancient United Order of Sons and Daughters, Brothers and Sisters of Moses — the Moses Order — to provide death benefits, healthcare, and other social welfare services for African Americans in a deeply segregated Reconstruction era America. Brown was a skilled entrepreneur and he held tight to his intellectual property and the organization’s name. That name is now the center of a fight over land in suburban Maryland just across the border with Washington, D.C. , where activists claim hundreds of bodies are buried beneath a parking lot and construction site.

The site is one of many abandoned and desecrated African American burial grounds throughout the United States for which activists are seeking recognition, protection, and commemoration. One of the best known examples is t he cemetery where the African Burial Ground National Monument was established in Manhattan. Massive protests and congressional hearings brought the issue to headlines in newspapers around the nation in the early 1990s.

African Burial Ground Way, New York, New York, 2018.

In 201 5 , the Montgomery County, Maryland, Planning Department began holding public hearings for a new sector plan in a mostly commercial area in unincorporated Bethesda. Planners disclosed that their research had uncovered the likely site of a historic African American cemetery in their study area. It had been documented in old maps and in a local history book but had been mostly forgotten since the 1960s when heavy equipment ex cavated much of the site to construct a high-rise apartment building and grade a surface parking lot. None of the graves was professionally excavated to relocate the bodies buried there.

The cemetery had been owned by White’s Tabernacle No. 39, a subordinate Moses Order founded in Washington in 187 6 . Displaced by suburban encroachment in 1910, White’s Tabernacle in 1911 bought an acre of land near River Road in a Black enclave founded just after the end of the Civil War. Before the war, the land had been occupied by plantations with enslaved workforces. After the war, the small rural community simply called itself by the name of the road along which its residents had settled.

When White’s Tabernacle bought its land along River Road, the enclave included Black-owned homes and businesses and one of the county’s “colored” schools. Less than a year after buying the property , White’s Tabernacle began burying its members in its cemetery. Because Congress controlled the District of Columbia government, federal l egislation was required to allow the organization to relocate about 192 graves from the cemetery it had owned in Washington since 1881. The bill enabling the relocation was introduced in 191 4 and it didn’t pass until 1921, more than a decade after White’s Tabernacle abandoned its original cemetery.

1894 Washington, D.C., real estate atlas with White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery circled (lower right) in the copy in the collections of the Library of Congress.

White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery in Washington, D.C. with 37th Street superimposed. Legislative Archives, U.S. National Archives.

By 1924 , a new road had been built over the cemetery and there is no surviving evidence that any of the people buried there were relocated to River Road.

Chevy Chase Parkway (former 37th Street) at the White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery site, 2017.

Fast-forward a centur y to Macedonia Baptist Church. Founded in 1920, the church is the last surviving River Road Black cultural institution. The church’s social justice ministry leader, Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, attended the Bethesda planning meetings where county planners mentioned the cemetery. A veteran activist best known for leading a whistleblower campaign against the EPA ending in litigation and a landmark law , Coleman-Adebayo mobilized members of her congregation and local anti-racism advocates.

Macedonia Baptist Church, River Road, Bethesda, Maryland.

The y began holding rallies at the cemetery site and protests in local government agency hearing rooms beneath banners that evolved from reading “Bethesda African Cemetery Project” to “Save Moses Cemetery.”

Marsha Coleman-Adebayo inspects an early banner used during a protest at a Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commission meeting in November 2017.

Support Moses African Cemetery banner used in a rally at the Bethesda cemetery site, November 2017.

Starting today’s press conference off with a beautiful rendition of Dr. Karen’s This Is The Scene of a Crime! #SaveMosesCemetery pic.twitter.com/MzblS5yc7e

&mdash Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (@BethAfrCemetery) August 12, 2020

And that’s where Peter Paul Brown comes in. He and the descendants of White’s Tabernacle , along with folks in a dispersed descendant community elsewhere in Montgomery County and Washington , were never really a part of Coleman-Adebayo’s campaign. Instead, Coleman-Adebayo reached out to a small group of church members and allies . She has drawn from a wellspring of urban legends, conspiracy theories, and Wikipedia history to cobble together a story about life , death , and desecration in the River Road community that is untethered from a small but substantive documentary record that tells a different story.

As a consultant to the activists who formed the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition, I researched the history of the White’s Tabernacle cemetery and the people who owned it. My work began uncovering facts that were not consistent with Coleman-Adebayo’s narrative that closely connects her church with the cemetery.

Testimony submitted to the Montgomery County County Council by former Macedonia Baptist Church pastor Rev. Sterling King emphasizing the fact that the church never owned the White’s Tabernacle property.

My research identified a wider descendant community than Coleman-Adebayo claimed. And, my work conclusively demonstrated that the White’s Tabernacle cemetery was more of a Washington-based institution than one closely affiliated with River Road’s residents and Macedonia Baptist Church. Displeased by my documentation , Coleman-Adebayo and her coalition pursued different research partners to document the cemetery and community’s history.

Among the people I identified as potential stakeholders and descendants were the residents of nearby Cabin John, another formerly rural community once associated with Montgomery County’s African Americans that was being absorbed by suburbanization and gentrification.

Concrete grave marker, Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88 cemetery, Cabin John, Maryland.

Cabin John also had a Moses Order, the Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88. In addition to a cemetery, the Cabin John Moses order also had a meeting hall. And, historians and archaeologists have documented overlapping memberships among the White’s Tabernacle and Morningstar lodges during the early twentieth century.

The Save Moses Cemetery crowd never invited the Morningstar Lodge descendant community to be part of their ad vocacy to save the River Road cemetery. Earlier this year, as tempers flared during coalition protests at a construction site next to the former cemetery site, the Morningstar Lodge descendant community [PDF] wrote to Coleman-Adebayo asking that she discontinue using the “Moses” name.

“W e as descendants of the Morningstar No. 88 lodge of the Order of Moses in Cabin John write to disagree with the narrative being put forth by the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (BACC) , regarding the Moses Cemetery on River Road in Bethesda ,” they wrote in an August 2020 letter sent to Montgomery County officials. “ We note with alarm that the BACC narrative about the River Road Moses Cemetery does not rest in facts but instead relies on incendiary language and false claims.”

The 2020 request mirrors some of the same control that Brown tried to exert over the name back in the 1870s when White’s Tabernacle was founded in what is now Washington’s Tenleytown neighborhood. Henry White, the local order’s namesake, along with several neighbors formed a subordinate Moses Order without first getting Brown’s consent to incorporate in the District of Columbia using the name Brown had copyrighted.

Peter P. Brown’s original 1872 copyright for the Moses Order name.

Brown sued in federal court. He charged that the Washington order had violated his copyright by using the Moses Order name. Brown alleged that the Washington order “wickedly, maliciously, unlawfully and fraudulently ” intended to injure Brown by appropriating the name he created.

1877 restraining order issued in the Brown v. Moses case.

Brown lost his case in 1879 because the court found that a copyright wasn’t the same thing as a corporate charte r . It created a rift among Washington’s original Moses Order members resulting in the founding of White’s Tabernacle No. 39 by a splinter group associated with the parties Brown sued. More than a century later, it looks like history is repeating itself in Bethesda , pitting one group laying claim to the Moses name and legacy against another.


DUVAL COUNTY

JACKSONVILLE

Ritz Theatre & Museum

You’ll find The Ritz Theatre & Museum in Jacksonville’s historic African American community of La Villa, heralded as the “Harlem of the South” during its heyday in the 1920s-1960s. The Ritz Theatre & Museum highlights the story of James Weldon Johnson and John Rosamond Johnson, Jacksonville natives who composed the African-American national hymn, “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing.” It also invites visitors to explore recreations of streets showcasing how African Americans in Jacksonville lived. On weekends, nationally renowned African American performers thrill sold-out crowds at the Ritz Theatre.

Kingsley Plantation

As Jacksonville's oldest residential home and Florida's last remaining plantation home, it’s hard to overstate the historic importance of the Kingsley Plantation. The Plantation dates back to 1814, and offers remarkably preserved slave quarters, a barn, the plantation house and a kitchen house. Weekend tours of the Planter’s home are available by reservation.

J.P. Small Memorial Stadium, also known as Durkee Field

Though the name of the stadium has often changed – it’s been called Barrs Field, the Myrtle Avenue Ball Park, Joseph H. Durkee Athletic Field, and currently James P. Small Memorial Stadium – its purpose has not it’s been the epicenter of organized baseball in Jacksonville since 1911.
Major league teams have employed the field for spring training and exhibition games, and minor league teams that include as the Jacksonville Tars (Jacksonville Braves) and the Jacksonville Red Caps of the Negro League have used it as their home base.
In 1953, the Jacksonville Braves defied the traditions of the South Atlantic League by adding three African American players to their ranks. That changed history one of the players was 19-year-old, Henry “Hank” Aaron, who played at Durkee Field for one year before being moved to the Milwaukee Braves.

Edward Waters College

Of the four colleges formed during the Reconstruction to provide necessary educational opportunities and teacher training for Florida’s African American citizens that were recently emancipated from slavery, Edward Waters College is the oldest. The College began in the late 1860’s, using several different names and locations in 1891, it acquired its current name.

Old Brewster Hospital

843 West Monroe Street (in La Villa)

The first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community, the Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was built in 1885 as a private residence. In 1901, the hospital opened its doors to the public, thanks to the work of the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Matilda Cutting Brewster of Connecticut, deserves special recognition she donated $1,000 in honor of her late husband, the Rev. George A. Brewster, to help start the hospital.
Home and School, a private institution for African-American girls, was one of the first nursing training programs in Florida. To say its students were welcomed by the community is an understatement: they made 1,230 house calls in 1901. The rapidly-growing hospital outgrew its first facility and relocated to another La Villa location in 1910 by 1931 it had moved again, this time to a spacious brick structure in the Old Sugar Hill neighborhood. With the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the Brewster Hospital closed in 1966 only to reopen in 1967 as the Methodist Hospital. In 2005, the Old Brewster Hospital building was moved to its present site from its original location at 915 West Monroe Street.

Durkeeville Museum

Discover the story of historic Durkeeville and its African-American residents, showcased in the museum’s artifacts, pictures, videos, and its ever-growing catalog of oral histories. Admission is available by appointment, so please call in advance.

The Eartha M.M. White Museum

613 West Ashley Street

Using her own kitchen, Clara White provided food and assistance to the needy. Eartha White, Clara’s daughter, continued and expanded the tradition, organizing the Clara White Mission in 1932. Her accomplishments include helping found the first retirement home for Jacksonville’s African American seniors, establishing the Milnor Street Nursery, a tuberculosis sanitarium for African Americans, and Oakland Park, the first municipal playground reserved for African American children. She was the first paid employee of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company, and is heralded for saving the company’s records during the Great Fire of 1901. She taught for 16 years, and was also one of the first paid social workers for Duval County as well as the first African American census taker. You can explore the remarkable lives and careers of these two women through a virtual walking tour of the museum.

Old Stanton High School

521 W. Broad St. (PRIVATE)

Edwin M. Stanton, a vocal abolitionist and Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln, would be proud of his namesake, Stanton High School. Established in 1868 by the Trustees of Florida Institute, the school holds bragging rights as the first public black school in Jacksonville and the only black high school in the country at the time. One alumnus is James Weldon Johnson, the first African American to pass the Florida bar exam, and the lyricist of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, considered ‘the black national anthem.’ Johnson served as the school’s principal from 1894 to 1902. Closed as a public school in 1971, the building now houses a private school.

Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing Park

Intersection of Houston and Lee Street

The NAACP has declared “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” written in the late 1800s, as the “Black National Anthem.” The park marks the birth site of James Weldon Johnson, who wrote the song with his brother John Rosamond Johnson, and encompasses three historical markers, one for each brother and one for the song. Plans to further develop the site are in the planning stages.

Hemming Plaza, ‘Ax Handle Saturday’

135 Monroe Street West

Hemming Plaza was the site of a brutal event known as ‘Ax Handle Saturday.’
In the late 1950s and early 1960s racial unrest simmered in the South, thanks to the glacially slow progress being made segregating public facilities, schools and businesses as well as a lack of economic equality. In Jacksonville, under the direction of local social studies teacher Rutledge Pearson, members of the Youth Council of the Jacksonville branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People reacted by organizing non-violent civil rights demonstrations -- often marked by a violent response from those who preferred to maintain the status quo.
After numerous sit-ins at the lunch counters of several downtown department stores, members of the Youth Council were ferociously attacked by segregationists equipped with axe handles and baseball bats. This event, which occurred on August 27, 1960, is known as “Ax Handle Saturday.” The notoriety of “Ax Handle Saturday,” and later demonstrations in 1964, played a large part in ending segregation and improving race relations in Jacksonville.

Mount Olive AME Church

Pioneer African-American builder and designer Richard L. Brown, who served two consecutive terms in the Florida House of Representatives, designed and constructed the Mount Olive A.M.E. Church in 1922. Brown also purchased ground in Campbell’s Addition, subsequently deeding part of it to the Duval County School Board for an elementary school that was named in his honor, and constructed Centennial Hall at Edward Waters College in 1916.

Mandarin School House

The last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Duval County, St. Joseph’s Mission Schoolhouse for African-American Children invites you to delve into its storied past. When the Civil War ended in 1865, black children had new opportunities for formal education --but because of racial prejudice, black and white students couldn’t be taught together.
The Sisters of St. Joseph, members of a Roman Catholic religious order from France, dedicated themselves to teaching black children in post-war Florida. They founded their first Mandarin school in 1868 and built the Mandarin Schoolhouse in 1898 expressly for the education of black Mandarin children.
This unique building now highlights the history of the schoolhouse and others like it that no longer exist. The Museum is open Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. the park is open daily from dawn to dusk.

Old City Cemetery

East Union Street and Cemetery Street

Established in 1852, you’ll find this cemetery just northeast of downtown Jacksonville in the Oakland neighborhood. The cemetery was originally situated on a four-acre square, but expanded another two acres to the north in 1869, primarily to serve as a burial ground for African -Americans.
Prior to Evergreen Cemetery opening in 1881 and Memorial Cemetery in 1911, this part of Old City Cemetery, known as the Duval Colored Cemetery or the “Freedmen’s Cemetery”, was the preferred final resting place for many of Jacksonville’s prominent African-American families. It houses the graves of 50 African American veterans, commonly referred to as Buffalo Soldiers, including several that served in the Union army.

Clara’s at the Cathedral

St. John’s Cathedral, 256 E. Church Street

This culinary training café promises visitors an upscale menu and a tasty afternoon in the Cathedral’s historic Taliaferro Hall. “Clara’s at the Cathedral” is an offshoot of Clara White’s Culinary Arts Program, providing students with extensive hands-on training in production, presentation and front of the house restaurant service every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All proceeds directly benefit the Clara White Culinary Training Program.

Norman Film Studios

Jacksonville was home to more than 30 silent film studios from 1908 through 1922, calling itself the “World’s Winter Film Capital.” When Richard E. Norman, Sr. purchased The Eagle Film City in 1922, he was one of the first independent movie producers to realize the financial potential of making films featuring all-black casts for African American communities. Though the studio was filling an obvious gap, Norman’s reason to produce race films wasn’t only a business decision he also wanted to make a positive impact on race relations. Norman produced eight feature films between 1920 and 1928 including The Green- Eyed Monster (1920), The Crimson Skull (1921), The Bull-Dogger (1921), Regeneration (1923), A Debtor to the Law (1924), The Flying Ace (1926), and The Black Gold (1928). In contrast to the majority of silent screen era movies, Norman’s films were free of racial stereotypes and depicted African Americans in an upbeat light. Just one of Norman’s films, The Flying Ace, is known to still exist, but the five buildings that formed the studios remain.

Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

Stunning, red and proud, this brick building boasts arched windows and doors, art-glass windows, and an imposing bell tower. The church was born in 1866, organized by a group of Freedmen that settled in Jacksonville just after the end of the Civil War. The present building is the sixth built after the previous 1,500-seat church was demolished by the Great Fire of 1901. Mount Zion A.M.E. was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1992 and designated a local landmark on May 10, 1994.

Mother Midway A.M.E. Church

1456 Van Buren Street

During and immediately following the Civil War, many African-American churches were built in Florida, usually independent, community-based congregations that a minister organized. The first official religious group created by Freedmen under the authority of a national denomination was in 1865, when William G. Stewart, an ex-slave, was appointed pastor of Florida by the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The day after arriving in Jacksonville on June 9, 1865, Reverend Steward met with a group from a tiny settlement east of Jacksonville called Midway to organize the first AME Church in Florida. Still situated in East Jacksonville, the Mother Midway A.M.E. Church is now renowned as the “mother” of the Florida Conference of the A.M.E. Church, organized in 1867, and the East Florida Conference, established in 1877.

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church

1058 Bethel Baptist Way

The first organized Baptist church in Jacksonville, Bethel Baptist Institutional Church dates back to 1838. Originally its congregation embraced both white and black members, but following the Civil War, white members went to court in a bid to remove the blacks. The court ruled in favor of the black members ultimately the black members got to keep the name Bethel Baptist Church, and received a cash settlement as well.
The sanctuary built after the Great Fire of 1901 was finished in 1904. The design, by New York architect M. H. Hubbard, features an imposing, ornate bell tower and octagonal steeple. Bethel Baptist was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 6, 1978, and was designated a local landmark on March 11, 1997.

A Pensacola native, Chappie James became the first black four-star general in American military history in 1976.


National Register Features

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

African American History Month (February)
Visit this National Register feature that showcases publications, historic properties listed in the National Register, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate African American contributions to American history.

Women's History Month (March)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, as well as the designs and achievements illustrating the contribution of women to American history.

Landscape Architecture Month (April)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate the contributions of Landscape Architecture to the Nation's history.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
In this National Register feature, learn about historic places listed in the National Register, just a few of the publications, and National Park units significant for their association with the remarkable history and achievements of Asian and Pacific Americans.

Preservation Month (May)
Communities and states throughout the United States celebrating the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Preservation Month. Our feature links to many web sites important to historic preservation.

Jewish American Heritage Month (May)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for the historical accomplishments of Jewish Americans during Jewish American Heritage Month.

Great Outdoors Month (June)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for Great Outdoors Month.

Back to School: (Early September) The National Register of Historic Places lists many properties significant for education. We are pleased to promote the awareness of and appreciation for education related properties.

Hispanic Heritage (September 15-October 15)
Visit this National Register feature highlighting various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that deal directly with the ingenuity, creativity, and cultural and political experiences of Hispanic Americans.

National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month (شهر نوفمبر)
This feature highlights various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that recognize the events and lifeways, the designs and achievements of American Indians.

Maritime Heritage (December)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for historic aids to navigation and their role in maritime heritage.


شاهد الفيديو: أقدم المدن السعودية في التاريخ (أغسطس 2022).